|FOREMAN OF CONSTRUCTION LABORERS
Department of Transportation
This position is covered under the City’s collective bargaining agreement with the Water Pipe Engineering Laborers – Local 1092 (Bargaining Unit 53). Only employees in City job titles in this bargaining unit are eligible to bid on this position.
IF YOU ARE A CURRENT CITY EMPLOYEE AND WANT TO EXERCISE YOUR CONTRACTUAL RIGHTS TO BID, YOUMUST CHECK THE BOX ON THE CAREERS APPLICATION TITLED “ALREADY EMPLOYED BY THIS COMPANY”,CORRECTLY ENTER YOUR EMPLOYEE ID, AND SELECT THE CORRECT BARGAINING UNIT.
YOU MUST USE THE EMPLOYEE NUMBER FOUND ON THE UPPER LEFT-HAND CORNER OF YOUR PAY CHECK STUB LABELED “PAYEE/EMPLOYEE NUMBER.”
(NO OTHER FORMAT OR SYSTEM CAN BE USED TO OBTAIN YOUR EMPLOYEE NUMBER).
FAILURE TO CHECK THE “ALREADY EMPLOYED BY THIS COMPANY” BOX, ENTER YOUR EMPLOYEE ID, AND SELECT THE CORRECT BARGAINING UNIT WILL RESULT IN A REJECTED BID APPLICATION
Number of Positions: 3
This is a working Foreman position and they are a support to the other trades. Under general supervision, functions as a supervisor over one or more work crews, directing and supervising Construction Laborers and Laborer-Apprentices performing physically demanding labor at construction, maintenance, and repair project sites of public facilities or in the public way including streets and roadways, bridges and viaducts, and performs related duties as required.
· Makes daily work assignments, ensures work crews are properly staffed and prioritizes work orders based on available manpower, daily work orders and planned work objectives
· Prioritizes work order requests and makes required re-assignment to ensure management directives are carried out and operational needs are met
· Monitors work in progress, enforcing operating work procedures and ensuring staff compliance with established work safety rules, practices and requirements
· Responds to and resolves problems relating to personnel, equipment, performance issues and other factors or issues impacting of work crews productivity
· Responds to operational demands during snow operations and clearing the overpass sidewalks through the city
· Coordinates work efforts with other supervisory personnel, reviewing work objectives and implementing changes to ensure the efficiency and effectiveness of work operations
· Provides safety instruction to staff to minimize employee accidents and to promote a safe work environment; reviews incidents of accidents and injuries and prepares reports
· Provides a vast knowledge of flagging procedures and ensures the staff is compliant
· Approves time off requests; monitors performance and conducts performance evaluations; and initiates and enforces disciplinary actions
· Confers with and notifies General Foreman of performance or operational problems
· Prepares productivity reports, operational reports and related reports
NOTE: The list of essential duties is not intended to be inclusive; there may be other duties that are essential to particular positions within the class.
Location: 3124 S. Sacramento
Shift: 7:00am – 3:30pm
Days: Monday – Friday
Three years of work experience as a general laborer on a construction work site.
A valid State of Illinois driver’s license is required.
Education & Employment Verification: Please be advised that if you are selected to be hired you must provide, upon request, adequate information regarding your educational and employment history as it related to the qualifications of the position for which you are applying. If you received your degree internationally, all international transcripts/diplomas must be accompanied by a Foreign Credential Evaluation. If the City of Chicago cannot verify this information, any offer extended to you will be withdrawn and you will not be hired.
NOTE: You must also provide your valid U.S. driver’s license at time of processing.
NOTE: To be considered for this position you must provide information about your educational background and your work experience. You must include job titles, dates of employment, and specific job duties. (If you are a current City employee, Acting Up cannot be considered.) If you fail to provide this information at the time you submit your application, it will be incomplete and you will not be considered for this position. There are three ways to provide the information: 1) you may attach a resume; 2) you may paste a resume; or 3) you can complete the online resume fields.
This position requires applicants to successfully pass a written job knowledge exam and complete an interview. Test results will be sent out by the Department of Human Resources after test results have been compiled and analyzed. Applicants who receive a passing score on the test will be selected to interview. The interviewed candidate(s) receiving a passing score on the test and possessing the qualifications best suited to fulfill the responsibilities of the position, based on the oral interview and written exercise, will be selected for hire.
Evaluation: Your initial evaluation will be based on information provided on the application form and documents submitted with the application. Applications must be submitted by the individual applicant. No second party applicants will be accepted.
Residency Requirement: All employees of the City of Chicago must be actual residents of the City as outlined in 2-152-050 of the City of Chicago Municipal Code. Proof of residency will be required.
If you would like to request a reasonable accommodation due to disability or pregnancy in order to participate in the application process, please contact the City of Chicago, Department of Human Resources, at 312-744-4976 (voice) or 312-744-5035 (TTY). Please be prepared to provide information in support of your reasonable accommodation.
ALL REFERENCES TO POLITICAL SPONSORSHIP OR RECOMMENDATION MUST BE OMITTED FROM ANY AND ALL APPLICATION MATERIALS SUBMITTED FOR CITY EMPLOYMENT.
The City of Chicago is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Military Friendly Employer
City of Chicago Department of Human Resources
Rahm Emanuel, Mayor Soo Choi, Commissioner
: Oct 30, 2017, 12:01:00 AM |
: Nov 14, 2017, 12:59:00 AM
Salary: $41.30/Hourly |